Romantic city breaks are standard fare for couples in the early stages of romance, but once kids come along, it is not uncommon for all thoughts of booking a last-minute city break to fly out of the window. But it needn’t be the case. Sure, you will have to alter your expectations a little, but city breaks can be just as much fun with kids in tow – and here’s how.
The UK has some amazing cities to explore, many of which you might not already be familiar with. Instead of booking a trip to somewhere you have visited before, go somewhere new. That way everyone can take pleasure in exploring somewhere new and exciting.
Choose the Right Destination
Destination is important and your choice of city break will probably come down to how far you are willing to travel. Every city in the UK has something to offer visitors (go to this website for more ideas on what to see and do), but the top destinations for families are:
- London – London is self-explanatory really. You could easily spend a week in the capital and still have a long list of places to see and attractions to visit. Kids will have a ball in London. There are some fabulous museums and the Tower of London is well worth a visit, but don’t overlook free attractions such as Big Ben at Greenwich and the street entertainment in Covent Garden.
- York – Historical York has ancient city walls, a wonderful Castle Museum, and quaint shopping streets. Check out the York Dungeon or take a boat ride along the river.
- Edinburgh – Like York, Edinburgh is packed full of history and culture. There are plenty of museums, including the huge science and nature attraction: Dynamic Earth. However, if you plan your trip to coincide with the Edinburgh Festival, the entertainment opportunities are endless.
- Liverpool – Liverpool has art galleries, museums, and an attractive dock area. It is also in close proximity to Chester Zoo and Knowsley Safari Park, which is ideal for children who yearn to be zookeepers when they grow up.
- Glasgow – Glasgow has a fantastic hands-on science museum. It also has lots of parks and green spaces for kids to let off steam. Explore the Bohemian Quarter and enjoy a ride on a tour bus. You’ll have a wonderful weekend.
Booking Suitable Accommodation
Hotel mini-breaks are a popular choice for couples, but they don’t always suit families with young children. Instead of opting for a chain hotel, why not look at a self-catering apartment instead? That way you will have the freedom to come and go as you please, as well as prepare food for younger children.
Travel in Comfort
Taking the car is often the simplest option because it gives you the freedom to pack as much as you need, but don’t overlook the benefits of travelling via train. If you are able to book well in advance, you should be able to buy cheap rail tickets, but a Family and Friends railcard will give you even greater savings.